For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life. – John 3:16

January 12, 2012

God Reminds Us About Forgiveness

via
Then Peter asked Him, “Lord, how many times must I forgive the offenses of my brother or sister? Seven times?” Jesus answered, “No, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.” – Matthew 18:21-22

I posted about forgiveness before.

Tackling more about God’s great capacity to forgive.

And yet, I don’t think I’m the best person to be talking about this.

Because, yes, I still struggle with it.

And this may ruin my credibility to preach about this virtue.

But today, it haunts me…

Catches my attention…

Telling me that it’s the right thing to do.

As I read the passages in Matthew, God again reminds me that one’s ability to forgive must be without limit.

God used the term seventy-seven times.

And it must never be about seeking revenge.

Because, really, where will revenge take us?

Well, most certainly not in heaven.

Because it would be difficult for us to allow God inside our hearts if we harbor hate.

Hate is definitely NOT God.

If it would be all about hate, then God wouldn’t send His Son, Jesus, to be nailed on the cross to save us, sinners.

But perhaps God knows that we are only human.

And He knows very well our limits.

And that we won’t be able to follow His words 100% of the time.

So He encourages us not to give up on practicing this virtue…

The way He never gave up on us and on our salvation, no matter how much we sinned against Him.

Let’s practice what we learned from the Bible today.

The way that God encourages us to do.

Take care and God bless! :-)